The sofa is undoubtedly the place where you and your family members love to play games and watch Netflix, often with snacks and drinks in hand. Most of the time, the popcorn kernels, chips, and cookie crumbs get trapped between the sofa cushions or land on the sofa. Wiping down your faux leather sofa or vacuuming your fabric sofa may get rid of light soil, but to get rid of set-in stains, you’ll need sofa deep cleaning.
No matter what kind of sofa fabric you have, you can follow this step-by-step guide on how to do sofa deep cleaning.
Checking The Sofa’s Care Label: The First And Foremost Thing To Do!
The very first thing you need to do before doing sofa deep cleaning is to check your sofa’s care label. This will help you determine what cleaning products and methods can be applied. These codes are:
- W indicates the use of water-based cleaners
- W/S indicates the use of both water and solvent-based
- S indicates the use of solvent-based cleaning chemicals
- X indicates vacuuming or brushing.
Now that you know the meaning of different codes on the care label, it’s time to know how to deep clean your leather, microfiber, or fabric sofas.
Microfiber & Fabric Sofa Deep Cleaning
- Start sofa deep cleaning by steaming your couch. To do so, it is advisable to use a handled garment steamer. If you don’t have a steamer in your home, go straight to vacuuming.
- Go over the entire sofa with your vacuum/s upholstery attachment: arms, back, cushions, and skirt. Don’t forget to go along the seams along the trim and around the buttons with the crevice tool. Also, remove the cushions and vacuum the fabric underneath.
- Once you’ve done with steaming and vacuuming, test the cleaning appliance or upholstery cleaner you choose in a hidden area to ensure it’s safe for your sofa fabric and doesn’t cause discoloration.
- If your sofa fabric can be safely cleaned with water, make a solution by mixing ¼ teaspoon of dish soap in a cup of warm water. Remove the cushions and apply the cleaning solution directly onto the fabric to blot the stains, working from the outside in. Once the stain is not there, dab that part using a damp cloth and blot dry. If your sofa care label shows “S”, remove the stains with a solvent-based product.
Once you are done with the entire sofa deep cleaning, sanitize your sofa with a good quality sanitizing spray, and it’s ready to use again!
Leather Sofa Deep Cleaning
For leather sofa deep cleaning, follow the below steps:
- To get rid of the dirt and dust mites, wipe the leather using a microfiber cloth.
- Vacuum the sofa with the crevice tool.
- Apply a leather cleaner or a mild soap solution using a soft damp cloth.
- Rinse the solution with another clean, damp cloth.
- And then finally buff the area with a dry cloth.
- To condition your leather, you can apply a good-quality protectant.
Sofa deep cleaning is not a difficult task. All you need is to know about the right tools and methods. That’s it! We hope this guide has given you enough information on how to do sofa deep cleaning.